Banana Loaf Cake
This recipe calls for a larger proportion of Baking Powder to help ‘lift’ the heavier dough created by the mashed bananas.
- 140 g butter softened plus extra for greasing the tin
- 140 g castor sugar
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ripe bananas - the riper the better! If they are a little under ripe bake them with the skins on in a medium oven for 15 minutes.
- 100 g chocolate chunks - optional
- Icing Sugar for dusting - optional
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C and line and grease a 2lb loaf tin.
- Cream together the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add the beaten eggs a little at a time until fully incorporated. If the mixture starts to curdle add a tablespoon of the flour.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder.
- Gently fold in half of the flour mix to the creamed mixture. Being careful not to overmix add the remaining flour and mix until combined.
- Fold in the mashed bananas and if desired the chocolate chunks.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 - 10 minutes in the tin then unmold onto a wire rack.
- Dust with sifted icing sugar.